Operate power pumps and auxiliary equipment to produce flow of oil or gas from wells in oil field.
- Wellhead Pumper
- Well Tender
- Well Head Pumper
- Production Operator
- Operations Technician
- Oilfield Plant and Field Operator
- Oil Well Service Operator
- Oil Well Pumper
- Oil Pumper
- Mix acids, chemicals, or dry cement as required for a specific job.
- Control pumping and blending equipment to acidize, cement, or fracture gas or oil wells and permeable rock formations.
- Prepare trucks and equipment necessary for the type of pumping service required.
- Drive trucks to transport high-pressure pumping equipment, and chemicals, fluids, or gases to be pumped into wells.
- Supervise oil pumpers and other workers engaged in producing oil from wells.
- Open valves to return compressed gas to bottoms of specified wells to repressurize them and force oil to surface.
- Start compressor engines and divert oil from storage tanks into compressor units and auxiliary equipment to recover natural gas from oil.
- Attach pumps and hoses to wellheads.
- Unload and assemble pipes and pumping equipment, using hand tools.
- Repair gas and oil meters and gauges.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $41,250 with most people making between $28,340 and $57,280
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,010 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,050 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 4 openings due to growth and about 56 replacement openings for approximately 60 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Semiconductor Processors
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders