Tend, control, or operate power-driven, stationary, or portable pumps and manifold systems to transfer gases, oil, other liquids, slurries, or powdered materials to and from various vessels and processes.
- Test materials and solutions, using testing equipment.
- Pump two or more materials into one tank to blend mixtures.
- Add chemicals and solutions to tanks to ensure that specifications are met.
- Tend auxiliary equipment such as water treatment and refrigeration units, and heat exchangers.
- Connect hoses and pipelines to pumps and vessels prior to material transfer, using hand tools.
- Collect and deliver sample solutions for laboratory analysis.
- Clean, lubricate, and repair pumps and vessels, using hand tools and equipment.
- Read operating schedules or instructions or receive verbal orders to determine amounts to be pumped.
- Plan movement of products through lines to processing, storage, and shipping units, using knowledge of interconnections and capacities of pipelines, valve manifolds, pumps, and tankage.
- Turn valves and start pumps to start or regulate flows of substances such as gases, liquids, slurries, or powdered materials.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $42,620 with most people making between $18,220 and $72,890
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,300 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,300 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 70 replacement openings for approximately 70 total annual openings.
- Logging Equipment Operators
- Hazardous Materials Removal Workers
- Derrick Operators, Oil and Gas
- Refractory Materials Repairers, Except Brickmasons
- Electrical Power-Line Installers and Repairers
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Chemical Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Sailors and Marine Oilers