Pack or package by hand a wide variety of products and materials.
- Seal containers or materials, using glues, fasteners, nails, and hand tools.
- Obtain, move, and sort products, materials, containers, and orders, using hand tools.
- Assemble, line, and pad cartons, crates, and containers, using hand tools.
- Transport packages to customers' vehicles.
- Remove completed or defective products or materials, placing them on moving equipment, such as conveyors, or in specified areas, such as loading docks.
- Place or pour products or materials into containers, using hand tools and equipment, or fill containers from spouts or chutes.
- Mark and label containers, container tags, or products, using marking tools.
- Measure, weigh, and count products and materials.
- Examine and inspect containers, materials, and products to ensure that packing specifications are met.
- Record product, packaging, and order information on specified forms and records.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $26,050 with most people making between $17,210 and $38,340
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 33,860 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 35,330 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 147 openings due to growth and about 903 replacement openings for approximately 1,050 total annual openings.
- Food Preparation Workers
- Janitors and Cleaners, Except Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
- Helpers--Painters, Paperhangers, Plasterers, and Stucco Masons
- Slaughterers and Meat Packers
- Laundry and Dry-Cleaning Workers
- Shoe Machine Operators and Tenders
- Cleaning, Washing, and Metal Pickling Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Cleaners of Vehicles and Equipment
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand