Operate or tend hoists or winches to lift and pull loads using power-operated cable equipment.
- Yarding Engineer
- Yarder Puncher
- Yarder Operator
- Yarder Engineer
- Yard Worker
- Winch Stripper
- Winch Runner
- Winch Operator
- Winch Driver
- Winch Derrick Operator
- Tend auxiliary equipment, such as jacks, slings, cables, or stop blocks, to facilitate moving items or materials for further processing.
- Repair, maintain, and adjust equipment, using hand tools.
- Climb ladders to position and set up vehicle-mounted derricks.
- Oil winch drums so that cables will wind smoothly.
- Apply hand or foot brakes and move levers to lock hoists or winches.
- Attach, fasten, and disconnect cables or lines to loads, materials, and equipment, using hand tools.
- Signal and assist other workers loading or unloading materials.
- Select loads or materials according to weight and size specifications.
- Move or reposition hoists, winches, loads and materials, manually or using equipment and machines such as trucks, cars, and hand trucks.
- Operate compressed air, diesel, electric, gasoline, or steam-driven hoists or winches to control movement of cableways, cages, derricks, draglines, loaders, railcars, or skips.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: REC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Enterprising and Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $43,460 with most people making between $26,840 and $85,580
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 360 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 370 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 1 openings due to growth and about 9 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Signal and Track Switch Repairers
- Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems Assemblers
- Printing Press Operators
- Chemical Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators
- Excavating and Loading Machine and Dragline Operators