Operate mechanical boom and cable or tower and cable equipment to lift and move materials, machines, or products in many directions.
- Weigh bundles, using floor scales, and record weights for company records.
- Direct truck drivers backing vehicles into loading bays and cover, uncover, or secure loads for delivery.
- Inspect bundle packaging for conformance to regulations or customer requirements and remove and batch packaging tickets.
- Review daily work or delivery schedules to determine orders, sequences of deliveries, or special loading instructions.
- Load or unload bundles from trucks or move containers to storage bins, using moving equipment.
- Clean, lubricate, and maintain mechanisms such as cables, pulleys, or grappling devices, making repairs as necessary.
- Direct helpers engaged in placing blocking or outrigging under cranes.
- Inspect cables or grappling devices for wear and install or replace cables, as needed.
- Inspect and adjust crane mechanisms or lifting accessories to prevent malfunctions or damage.
- Move levers, depress foot pedals, or turn dials to operate cranes, cherry pickers, electromagnets, or other moving equipment for lifting, moving, or placing loads.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $53,220 with most people making between $32,610 and $81,050
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,000 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 2,180 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 18 openings due to growth and about 72 replacement openings for approximately 90 total annual openings.
- Pile-Driver Operators
- Refractory Materials Repairers, Except Brickmasons
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers
- Locomotive Engineers
- Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators