Control or tend conveyors or conveyor systems that move materials or products to and from stockpiles, processing stations, departments, or vehicles. May control speed and routing of materials or products.
- Transfer Operator
- Tipple Tender
- Tipple Operator
- Tip-Out Worker
- Strapper Operator
- Stacker Tender
- Spout Tender
- Sinter Feeder
- Silo Tender
- Join sections of conveyor frames at temporary working areas, and connect power units.
- Operate elevator systems in conjunction with conveyor systems.
- Measure dimensions of bundles, using rulers, and cut battens to required sizes, using power saws.
- Contact workers in work stations or other departments to request movement of materials, products, or machinery, or to notify them of incoming shipments and their estimated delivery times.
- Thread strapping through strapping tools and secure battens with strapping to form protective pallets around extrusions.
- Move, assemble, and connect hoses or nozzles to material hoppers, storage tanks, conveyor sections or chutes, and pumps.
- Affix identifying information to materials or products, using hand tools.
- Clean, sterilize, and maintain equipment, machinery, and work stations, using hand tools, shovels, brooms, chemicals, hoses, and lubricants.
- Press console buttons to deflect packages to predetermined accumulators or reject lines.
- Operate consoles to control automatic palletizing equipment.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $37,760 with most people making between $26,130 and $50,900
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,310 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,310 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 40 replacement openings for approximately 40 total annual openings.
- Hazardous Materials Removal Workers
- Segmental Pavers
- Rotary Drill Operators, Oil and Gas
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems Assemblers
- Power Plant Operators
- Stationary Engineers and Boiler Operators
- Chemical Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators