Inspect the handling, storage, and stowing of freight and cargoes.
- Tank Inspector
- Steamboat Inspector
- Shipping Inspector
- Ship Surveyor
- Safety Engineer
- Petroleum Inspector
- Perishable Fruit Inspector
- Perishable Freight Inspector
- Packing Inspector
- Determine types of licenses and safety equipment required, and compute applicable fees such as tolls and wharfage fees.
- Time rolls of ships, using stopwatches.
- Measure heights and widths of loads to ensure they will pass over bridges or through tunnels on scheduled routes.
- Post warning signs on vehicles containing explosives or flammable or radioactive materials.
- Calculate gross and net tonnage, hold capacities, volumes of stored fuel and water, cargo weights, and ship stability factors, using mathematical formulas.
- Write certificates of admeasurement that list details such as designs, lengths, depths, and breadths of vessels, and methods of propulsion.
- Issue certificates of compliance for vessels without violations.
- Read draft markings to determine depths of vessels in water.
- Determine cargo transportation capabilities by reading documents that set forth cargo loading and securing procedures, capacities, and stability factors.
- Check temperatures and humidities of shipping and storage areas to ensure that they are at appropriate levels to protect cargo.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Working Conditions and Relationships in their jobs.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $63,100 with most people making between $26,830 and $119,760
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 650 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 670 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 2 openings due to growth and about 18 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.
- Surveying Technicians
- Agricultural Technicians
- Agricultural Inspectors
- Forest and Conservation Workers
- Log Graders and Scalers
- Construction and Building Inspectors
- Computer, Automated Teller, and Office Machine Repairers
- Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Gas Plant Operators