Inspect aircraft, maintenance procedures, air navigational aids, air traffic controls, and communications equipment to ensure conformance with Federal safety regulations.
- Schedule and coordinate in-flight testing programs with ground crews and air traffic control to ensure availability of ground tracking, equipment monitoring, and related services.
- Recommend changes in rules, policies, standards, and regulations, based on knowledge of operating conditions, aircraft improvements, and other factors.
- Analyze training programs and conduct oral and written examinations to ensure the competency of persons operating, installing, and repairing aircraft equipment.
- Recommend replacement, repair, or modification of aircraft equipment.
- Start aircraft and observe gauges, meters, and other instruments to detect evidence of malfunctions.
- Observe flight activities of pilots to assess flying skills and to ensure conformance to flight and safety regulations.
- Investigate air accidents and complaints to determine causes.
- Conduct flight test programs to test equipment, instruments, and systems under a variety of conditions, using both manual and automatic controls.
- Approve or deny issuance of certificates of airworthiness.
- Prepare and maintain detailed repair, inspection, investigation, and certification records and reports.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $76,740 with most people making between $43,130 and $124,030
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 650 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 670 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 2 openings due to growth and about 18 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.
- Robotics Technicians
- Manufacturing Engineering Technologists
- Geological Sample Test Technicians
- Environmental Science and Protection Technicians, Including Health
- Fire Investigators
- Police Identification and Records Officers
- Agricultural Inspectors
- Construction and Building Inspectors
- Elevator Installers and Repairers
- Telecommunications Equipment Installers and Repairers, Except Line Installers