Park vehicles or issue tickets for customers in a parking lot or garage. May collect fee.
- Service vehicles with gas, oil, and water.
- Review motorists' identification before allowing them to enter parking facilities.
- Perform personnel activities, such as supervising or scheduling employees.
- Lift, position, and remove barricades to open or close parking areas.
- Perform maintenance on cars in storage to protect tires, batteries, or exteriors from deterioration.
- Escort customers to their vehicles to ensure their safety.
- Direct motorists to parking areas or parking spaces, using hand signals or flashlights as necessary.
- Patrol parking areas to prevent vehicle damage and vehicle or property thefts.
- Call emergency responders or the proper authorities and provide motorist assistance, such as giving directions or helping jump start a stalled vehicle.
- Keep parking areas clean and orderly to ensure that space usage is maximized.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Independence and Support in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Service Orientation - Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $22,320 with most people making between $16,850 and $30,090
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 5,420 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 5,730 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 31 openings due to growth and about 299 replacement openings for approximately 330 total annual openings.
- Parking Enforcement Workers
- Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
- Couriers and Messengers
- Meter Readers, Utilities
- Helpers--Painters, Paperhangers, Plasterers, and Stucco Masons
- Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand
- Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors