Monitor locomotive instruments and watch for dragging equipment, obstacles on rights-of-way, and train signals during run. Watch for and relay traffic signals from yard workers to yard engineer in railroad yard.
- Steam Locomotive Firer/Fireman
- Shop Firer/Fireman
- Roundhouse Firer/Fireman
- Railroad Firer/Fireman
- Railroad Firer
- Passenger Locomotive Engineer
- Locomotive Firer/Fireman
- Locomotive Engineer
- Start diesel engines to warm engines before runs.
- Monitor oil, temperature, and pressure gauges on dashboards to determine if engines are operating safely and efficiently.
- Check to see that trains are equipped with supplies such as fuel, water, and sand.
- Signal other workers to set brakes and to throw track switches when switching cars from trains to way stations.
- Inspect locomotives to detect damaged or worn parts.
- Operate locomotives in emergency situations.
- Observe tracks from left sides of locomotives to detect obstructions on tracks.
- Receive signals from workers in rear of train and relay that information to engineers.
- Monitor trains as they go around curves to detect dragging equipment and smoking journal boxes.
- Observe train signals along routes and verify their meanings for engineers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Working Conditions and Relationships in their jobs.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Law and Government - Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $64,420 with most people making between $43,530 and $99,100
During 2010, this occupation employed approximately 50 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 50 employed in 2020.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 2 replacement openings for approximately 2 total annual openings.
Industry breakdown is not available for this occupation
- Pesticide Handlers, Sprayers, and Applicators, Vegetation
- Logging Equipment Operators
- Pile-Driver Operators
- Hazardous Materials Removal Workers
- Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Separating, Filtering, Clarifying, Precipitating, and Still Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders