Transport students or special clients, such as the elderly or persons with disabilities. Ensure adherence to safety rules. May assist passengers in boarding or exiting.
- Make minor repairs to vehicles.
- Report delays, accidents, or other traffic and transportation situations, using telephones or mobile two-way radios.
- Keep bus interiors clean for passengers.
- Regulate heating, lighting, and ventilation systems for passenger comfort.
- Drive gasoline, diesel, or electrically powered multi-passenger vehicles to transport students between neighborhoods, schools, and school activities.
- Read maps and follow written and verbal geographic directions.
- Prepare and submit reports that may include the number of passengers or trips, hours worked, mileage, fuel consumption, or fares received.
- Maintain knowledge of first-aid procedures.
- Pick up and drop off students at regularly scheduled neighborhood locations, following strict time schedules.
- Report any bus malfunctions or needed repairs.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Psychology - Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests; learning and motivation; psychological research methods; and the assessment and treatment of behavioral and affective disorders.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $28,420 with most people making between $17,790 and $40,720
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 28,160 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 30,120 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 196 openings due to growth and about 374 replacement openings for approximately 570 total annual openings.
- Cooks, Institution and Cafeteria
- Carpet Installers
- Septic Tank Servicers and Sewer Pipe Cleaners
- Rotary Drill Operators, Oil and Gas
- Automotive Glass Installers and Repairers
- Manufactured Building and Mobile Home Installers
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Ambulance Drivers and Attendants, Except Emergency Medical Technicians
- Rail Yard Engineers, Dinkey Operators, and Hostlers
- Bridge and Lock Tenders