Directly supervise and coordinate activities of transportation and material-moving machine and vehicle operators and helpers.
- Yard Supervisor
- Yard Manager
- Yard Conductor
- Warehouse Supervisor
- Warehouse Foreman
- Trucks, Cabs, and Buses Dispatcher Supervisor
- Truck Supervisor
- Truck Driver Supervisor
- Transportation Supervisor
- Transportation Coordinator
- Compute or estimate cash, payroll, transportation, personnel, or storage requirements.
- Assist workers in tasks such as coupling railroad cars or loading vehicles.
- Examine, measure, or weigh cargo or materials to determine specific handling requirements.
- Recommend and implement measures to improve worker motivation, equipment performance, work methods, or customer services.
- Requisition needed personnel, supplies, equipment, parts, or repair services.
- Explain and demonstrate work tasks to new workers or assign training tasks to experienced workers.
- Perform or schedule repairs or preventive maintenance of vehicles or other equipment.
- Recommend or implement personnel actions, such as employee selection, evaluation, rewards, or disciplinary actions.
- Resolve worker problems or collaborate with employees to assist in problem resolution.
- Prepare, compile, and submit reports on work activities, operations, production, or work-related accidents.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: ECR.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Enterprising interests, but also prefer Conventional and Realistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Personnel and Human Resources - Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labor relations and negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Management of Personnel Resources - Motivating, developing, and directing people as they work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $64,130 with most people making between $39,910 and $94,030
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 7,790 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 8,240 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 45 openings due to growth and about 255 replacement openings for approximately 300 total annual openings.
- Nursery and Greenhouse Managers
- Gaming Managers
- Emergency Management Directors
- Technical Directors/Managers
- Criminal Investigators and Special Agents
- First-Line Supervisors of Housekeeping and Janitorial Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Personal Service Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Construction Trades and Extraction Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Mechanics, Installers, and Repairers
- First-Line Supervisors of Production and Operating Workers