Perform a variety of duties such as mixing materials, assembling mold parts, filling molds, and stacking molds to mold and cast a wide range of products.
- Molding Line Operator
- Molding Line Assistant
- Mold Technician
- Mold Stamper
- Mold Presser
- Mold Operator
- Mold Mechanic
- Mold Filling Operator
- Mold Filler and Drainer
- Melt metal pieces, using torches, and cast products, such as inlays and crowns, using centrifugal casting machines.
- Tap or tilt molds to ensure uniform distribution of materials.
- Locate and scribe parting lines on patterns, using measuring instruments, such as calipers, squares, or depth gauges.
- Bore holes or cut grates, risers, or pouring spouts in molds, using power tools.
- Construct or form molds for use in casting metal, clay, or plaster objects, using plaster, fiberglass, rubber, casting machines, patterns, or flasks.
- Verify dimensions of products, using measuring instruments, such as calipers, vernier gauges, or protractors.
- Place forms around models and separately immerse each half portion of a model in plaster, wax, or other mold-making materials.
- Operate molding machines that compact sand in flasks to form molds.
- Remove excess materials and level and smooth wet mold mixtures.
- Measure ingredients and mix molding, casting material, or sealing compounds to prescribed consistencies, according to formulas.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $32,370 with most people making between $21,030 and $45,060
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,360 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 2,350 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 80 replacement openings for approximately 80 total annual openings.
- Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand
- Machine Feeders and Offbearers
- Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors