Perform a variety of duties such as mixing materials, assembling mold parts, filling molds, and stacking molds to mold and cast a wide range of products.
- Molding Line Operator
- Molding Line Assistant
- Mold Technician
- Mold Stamper
- Mold Presser
- Mold Operator
- Mold Mechanic
- Mold Filling Operator
- Mold Filler and Drainer
- Melt metal pieces, using torches, and cast products, such as inlays and crowns, using centrifugal casting machines.
- Tap or tilt molds to ensure uniform distribution of materials.
- Locate and scribe parting lines on patterns, using measuring instruments, such as calipers, squares, or depth gauges.
- Bore holes or cut grates, risers, or pouring spouts in molds, using power tools.
- Construct or form molds for use in casting metal, clay, or plaster objects, using plaster, fiberglass, rubber, casting machines, patterns, or flasks.
- Verify dimensions of products, using measuring instruments, such as calipers, vernier gauges, or protractors.
- Place forms around models and separately immerse each half portion of a model in plaster, wax, or other mold-making materials.
- Operate molding machines that compact sand in flasks to form molds.
- Remove excess materials and level and smooth wet mold mixtures.
- Measure ingredients and mix molding, casting material, or sealing compounds to prescribed consistencies, according to formulas.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $32,370 with most people making between $21,030 and $45,060
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,360 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 2,350 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 80 replacement openings for approximately 80 total annual openings.
- Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Helpers--Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand
- Machine Feeders and Offbearers
- Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors