Paint, coat, or decorate articles such as furniture, glass, plateware, pottery, jewelry, toys, books, or leather.
- Wood Stainer
- Window Tinter
- Lens Coating Technician
- Lens Coater
- Leather Coater
- Last Chalker
- Lacquer Sprayer
- Position and glue decorative pieces in cutout sections of workpieces, following patterns.
- Cut out sections in surfaces of materials to be inlaid with decorative pieces, using patterns and knives or scissors.
- Immerse workpieces into coating materials for specified times.
- Conceal blemishes in workpieces, such as nicks and dents, using fillers such as putty.
- Melt or heat coating materials to specified temperatures.
- Select and mix ingredients to prepare coating substances according to specifications, using paddles or mechanical mixers.
- Place coated workpieces in ovens or dryers for specified times to dry or harden finishes.
- Rinse, drain, or wipe coated workpieces to remove excess coating material or to facilitate setting of finish coats on workpieces.
- Clean surfaces of workpieces in preparation for coating, using cleaning fluids, solvents, brushes, scrapers, steam, sandpaper, or cloth.
- Read job orders and inspect workpieces to determine work procedures and materials required.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Transportation - Knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $33,950 with most people making between $18,780 and $52,070
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 740 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 730 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 10 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Motion Picture Projectionists
- Mail Clerks and Mail Machine Operators, Except Postal Service
- Fabric Menders, Except Garment
- Milling and Planing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Solderers and Brazers
- Sewing Machine Operators
- Shoe and Leather Workers and Repairers
- Textile Knitting and Weaving Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Furniture Finishers
- Photographic Process Workers and Processing Machine Operators