Set up, operate, or tend machines to coat or paint any of a wide variety of products, including glassware, cloth, ceramics, metal, plastic, paper, or wood, with lacquer, silver, copper, rubber, varnish, glaze, enamel, oil, or rust-proofing materials.
- Wire Coating Machine Operator
- Wire Coater
- Whiting Machine Operator
- Waxing Machine Operator
- Wax Machine Operator
- Wad Impregnator
- Varnishing Unit Tool Setter
- Varnishing Machine Operator
- Tumbling Barrel Painter
- Paint small items and perform touch-up painting, using paint brushes.
- Attach and align machine parts such as rollers, guides, brushes, and blades, using hand tools.
- Place items or products on feedracks, spindles, or reel strands to coat, paint, or spray them, using hands, hoists, or truck lifts.
- Start pumps to mix solutions and fill tanks.
- Spray coated products with salt solutions to determine how they will resist corrosion.
- Transfer completed items or products from machines to drying or storage areas, using handcarts, handtrucks, or cranes.
- Prepare and apply stencils, computer-generated decals, or other decorative items to finished products.
- Record operational data on specified forms.
- Remove materials, parts, or workpieces from painting or coating machines, using hand tools.
- Operate auxiliary machines or equipment used in coating or painting processes.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $34,620 with most people making between $22,930 and $48,730
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 3,660 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 3,810 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 15 openings due to growth and about 65 replacement openings for approximately 80 total annual openings.
- Nursery Workers
- Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Grinding and Polishing Workers, Hand
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
- Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators