Operate or tend machines to prepare industrial or consumer products for storage or shipment. Includes cannery workers who pack food products.
- Clean and remove damaged or otherwise inferior materials to prepare raw products for processing.
- Secure finished packaged items by hand tying, sewing, gluing, stapling, or attaching fastener.
- Clean packaging containers, line and pad crates, or assemble cartons to prepare for product packing.
- Count and record finished and rejected packaged items.
- Stock and sort product for packaging or filling machine operation, and replenish packaging supplies, such as wrapping paper, plastic sheet, boxes, cartons, glue, ink, or labels.
- Package the product in the form in which it will be sent out, for example, filling bags with flour from a chute or spout.
- Stack finished packaged items, or wrap protective material around each item, and pack the items in cartons or containers.
- Supply materials to spindles, conveyors, hoppers, or other feeding devices and unload packaged product.
- Adjust machine components and machine tension and pressure according to size or processing angle of product.
- Regulate machine flow, speed, or temperature.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $32,820 with most people making between $20,480 and $48,100
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 16,110 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 16,590 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 48 openings due to growth and about 572 replacement openings for approximately 620 total annual openings.
- Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
- Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Wood
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators