Fabricate and repair jewelry articles. Make models or molds to create jewelry items.
- Stone Setter Apprentice
- Stone Setter
- Silver Chaser
- Sample Maker
- Ring Maker
- Phonograph Needle Tip Maker
- Chase decorative designs on silver blanks that are to be used as models for steel production dies.
- Press models into clay, and build up clay around exposed parts of models to retain plaster.
- Burn grooves or crevices in molds in order to correct defects, using soldering guns.
- Immerse gemstones in chemical solutions to determine specific gravity and other key properties necessary for identification and appraisal.
- Remove molds from cast articles, clean them, and apply shellac and powder to preserve them for reuse.
- Rotate molds in order to distribute molten material and prevent formation of air pockets.
- Build sand molds in flasks, following patterns and heat flasks to dry and harden molds, using furnaces or torches.
- Melt and roll out metal into sheets or bars, and stamp out jewelry such as gold and silver chains, using presses or dies.
- Assemble and secure mold sections used to cast metal articles and pieces.
- Place metal samples in frames, pack raw rubber around samples, and clamp samples, frames, and rubber into vulcanizing machines.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Working Conditions, but also value Achievement and Recognition in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Sales and Marketing - Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Operations Analysis - Analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $53,960 with most people making between $25,730 and $71,540
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 880 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 720 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 10 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Architectural Drafters
- Mapping Technicians
- Museum Technicians and Conservators
- Computer, Automated Teller, and Office Machine Repairers
- Camera and Photographic Equipment Repairers
- Watch Repairers
- Locksmiths and Safe Repairers
- Patternmakers, Metal and Plastic
- Fabric and Apparel Patternmakers
- Precious Metal Workers