Set up, operate, or tend machines to mix or blend materials, such as chemicals, tobacco, liquids, color pigments, or explosive ingredients.
- Wine Fermenter
- Whipped Topping Mixer
- Whipped Topping Finisher
- Wheel Mill Operator
- Wet-End Operator
- Wet Primer Powder Blender
- Wet Pour Mixer
- Wet Mixer
- Weigher Bulker
- Weigher and Mixer
- Dislodge and clear jammed materials or other items from machinery or equipment, using hand tools.
- Open valves to drain slurry from mixers into storage tanks.
- Clean and maintain equipment, using hand tools.
- Unload mixtures into containers or onto conveyors for further processing.
- Tend accessory equipment, such as pumps or conveyors, to move materials or ingredients through production processes.
- Record operational or production data on specified forms.
- Test samples of materials or products to ensure compliance with specifications, using test equipment.
- Transfer materials, supplies, or products between work areas, using moving equipment or hand tools.
- Examine materials, ingredients, or products visually or with hands to ensure conformance to established standards.
- Stop mixing or blending machines when specified product qualities are obtained and open valves and start pumps to transfer mixtures.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $39,020 with most people making between $26,440 and $53,500
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 6,150 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 6,210 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 6 openings due to growth and about 134 replacement openings for approximately 140 total annual openings.
- Logging Equipment Operators
- Pile-Driver Operators
- Reinforcing Iron and Rebar Workers
- Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators
- Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Wellhead Pumpers