Set up, operate, or tend continuous flow or vat-type equipment; filter presses; shaker screens; centrifuges; condenser tubes; precipitating, fermenting, or evaporating tanks; scrubbing towers; or batch stills. These machines extract, sort, or separate liquids, gases, or solids from other materials to recover a refined product. Includes dairy processing equipment operators.
- Zinc-Chloride Operator
- Yeast Fermentation Attendant
- Yeast Distiller
- Wringer Operator
- Winery Worker
- Wine Master
- Wine Cellar Worker
- Whey Department Operator
- Pack bottles into cartons or crates, using machines.
- Remove full containers from discharge outlets and replace them with empty containers.
- Assemble fittings, valves, bowls, plates, disks, impeller shafts, or other parts to prepare equipment for operation.
- Connect pipes between vats and processing equipment.
- Install, maintain, or repair hoses, pumps, filters, or screens to maintain processing equipment, using hand tools.
- Test samples to determine viscosity, acidity, specific gravity, or degree of concentration, using test equipment such as viscometers, pH meters, or hydrometers.
- Measure or weigh materials to be refined, mixed, transferred, stored, or otherwise processed.
- Clean or sterilize tanks, screens, inflow pipes, production areas, or equipment, using hoses, brushes, scrapers, or chemical solutions.
- Remove clogs, defects, or impurities from machines, tanks, conveyors, screens, or other processing equipment.
- Maintain logs of instrument readings, test results, or shift production for entry in computer databases.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Working Conditions and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $42,490 with most people making between $24,250 and $65,040
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,970 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 2,010 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 4 openings due to growth and about 66 replacement openings for approximately 70 total annual openings.
- Logging Equipment Operators
- Farm Equipment Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Recreational Vehicle Service Technicians
- Control and Valve Installers and Repairers, Except Mechanical Door
- Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal and Plastic
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Transportation Vehicle, Equipment and Systems Inspectors, Except Aviation