Distribute or process gas for utility companies and others by controlling compressors to maintain specified pressures on main pipelines.
- Operate construction equipment to install and maintain gas distribution systems.
- Signal or direct workers who tend auxiliary equipment.
- Calculate gas ratios to detect deviations from specifications, using testing apparatus.
- Control fractioning columns, compressors, purifying towers, heat exchangers, and related equipment to extract nitrogen and oxygen from air.
- Control equipment to regulate flow and pressure of gas to feedlines of boilers, furnaces, and related steam-generating or heating equipment.
- Distribute or process gas for utility companies or industrial plants, using panel boards, control boards, and semi-automatic equipment.
- Change charts in recording meters.
- Contact maintenance crews when necessary.
- Test gas, chemicals, and air during processing to assess factors such as purity and moisture content, and to detect quality problems or gas or chemical leaks.
- Read logsheets to determine product demand and disposition, or to detect malfunctions.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $61,340 with most people making between $42,530 and $80,540
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,250 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,350 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 10 openings due to growth and about 50 replacement openings for approximately 60 total annual openings.
- Elevator Installers and Repairers
- Telecommunications Equipment Installers and Repairers, Except Line Installers
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Powerhouse, Substation, and Relay
- Aircraft Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Heating and Air Conditioning Mechanics and Installers
- Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
- Industrial Machinery Mechanics
- Medical Equipment Repairers
- Signal and Track Switch Repairers
- Chemical Plant and System Operators