Set up, operate, or tend wood sawing machines. May operate CNC equipment. Includes lead sawyers.
- Wood Type Cutter
- Wood Sawyer
- Wood Gang Sawyer
- Wood Cutter
- Whip Sawyer
- Veneer Sawyer
- Veneer Cutter
- Veneer Clipper
- Variety Saw Operator
- Unisaw Operator
- Dispose of waste material after completing work assignments.
- Unclamp and remove finished workpieces from tables.
- Cut grooves, bevels, or miters, saw curved or irregular designs, and sever or shape metals, according to specifications or work orders.
- Select saw blades, types or grades of stock, or cutting procedures to be used, according to work orders or supervisors' instructions.
- Pull tables back against stops and depress pedals to advance cutterheads that shape stock ends.
- Examine blueprints, drawings, work orders, or patterns to determine equipment set-up or selection details, procedures to be used, or dimensions of final products.
- Operate panelboards of saw or conveyor systems to move stock through processes or to cut stock to specified dimensions.
- Measure and mark stock for cuts.
- Unload and roll logs from trucks to sawmill decks or to carriages or move logs in ponds, using pike poles.
- Position and clamp stock on tables, conveyors, or carriages, using hoists, guides, stops, dogs, wedges, or wrenches.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $31,120 with most people making between $21,350 and $46,240
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,830 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,870 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 4 openings due to growth and about 56 replacement openings for approximately 60 total annual openings.
- Pesticide Handlers, Sprayers, and Applicators, Vegetation
- Logging Equipment Operators
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Solderers and Brazers
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Painters, Transportation Equipment
- Helpers--Production Workers