Construct full-size and scale wooden precision models of products. Includes wood jig builders and loft workers.
- Woodworking Craftsman
- Wood Window and Door Craftsman
- Wood Model Builder
- Wood Last Maker
- Wood Craftsman
- Sample Worker
- Sample Maker
- Sample Builder
- Production Wood Craftsman
- Product Engineer
- Finish patterns or models with protective or decorative coatings such as shellac, lacquer, or wax.
- Issue patterns to designated machine operators.
- Build jigs that can be used as guides for assembling oversized or special types of box shooks.
- Maintain pattern records for reference.
- Fabricate work aids such as scrapers or templates.
- Plan, lay out, and draw outlines of units, sectional patterns, or full-scale mock-ups of products.
- Mark identifying information on patterns, parts, and templates to indicate assembly methods and details.
- Construct wooden models, patterns, templates, full scale mock-ups, and molds for parts of products and production tools.
- Select wooden stock, determine layouts, and mark layouts of parts on stock, using precision equipment such as scribers, squares, and protractors.
- Trim, smooth, and shape surfaces, and plane, shave, file, scrape, and sand models to attain specified shapes, using hand tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IS.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Social environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operations Analysis - Analyzing needs and product requirements to create a design.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2015, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $31,560 with most people making between $19,940 and $41,240
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 200 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 190 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 0 replacement openings for approximately 0 total annual openings.
- Rough Carpenters
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Electronic Equipment Installers and Repairers, Motor Vehicles
- Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics
- Patternmakers, Metal and Plastic
- Layout Workers, Metal and Plastic
- Printing Press Operators
- Patternmakers, Wood
- Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant and System Operators