Make, repair, or replace upholstery for household furniture or transportation vehicles.
- Make, repair, or replace automobile upholstery and convertible and vinyl tops, using knowledge of fabric and upholstery methods.
- Collaborate with interior designers to decorate rooms and coordinate furnishing fabrics.
- Attach bindings or apply solutions to edges of cut material to prevent raveling.
- Pick up and deliver furniture.
- Discuss upholstery fabrics, colors, and styles with customers, and provide cost estimates.
- Maintain records of time required to perform each job.
- Design upholstery cover patterns and cutting plans, based on sketches, customer descriptions, or blueprints.
- Operate sewing machines or sew upholstery by hand to seam cushions and join various sections of covering material.
- Stretch webbing and fabric, using webbing stretchers.
- Draw cutting lines on material following patterns, templates, sketches, or blueprints, using chalk, pencils, paint, or other methods.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Achievement and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Active Learning - Understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $37,720 with most people making between $20,460 and $60,800
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,140 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,090 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 30 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
- Tree Trimmers and Pruners
- Terrazzo Workers and Finishers
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Painters, Construction and Maintenance
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Automotive Body and Related Repairers
- Printing Press Operators
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Cabinetmakers and Bench Carpenters