Set up, operate, or tend machines that wind or twist textiles; or draw out and combine sliver, such as wool, hemp, or synthetic fibers. Includes slubber machine and drawing frame operators.
- Yarn Winder
- Yarn Twister
- Yarn Texturing Machine Operator
- Yarn Spooler
- Yarn Spinner
- Yarn Rewinder
- Yarn Handler
- Wool Winder
- Winding Rack Operator
- Winding Machine Operator
- Repair or replace worn or defective parts or components, using hand tools.
- Remove spindles from machines and bobbins from spindles.
- Clean, oil, and lubricate machines, using air hoses, cleaning solutions, rags, oilcans, and grease guns.
- Adjust machine settings such as speed or tension to produce products that meet specifications.
- Observe bobbins as they are winding and cut threads to remove loaded bobbins, using knives.
- Unwind lengths of yarn, thread, or twine from spools and wind onto bobbins.
- Tend spinning frames that draw out and twist roving or sliver into yarn.
- Install, level, and align machine components such as gears, chains, guides, dies, cutters, or needles to set up machinery for operation.
- Measure bobbins periodically, using gauges, and turn screws to adjust tension if bobbins are not of specified size.
- Study guides, samples, charts, and specification sheets, or confer with supervisors or engineering staff to determine setup requirements.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $28,560 with most people making between $19,480 and $38,770
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 560 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 390 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 10 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Rock Splitters, Quarry
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Sewing Machine Operators
- Textile Bleaching and Dyeing Machine Operators and Tenders
- Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders