Set up, operate, or tend machines that wind or twist textiles; or draw out and combine sliver, such as wool, hemp, or synthetic fibers. Includes slubber machine and drawing frame operators.
- Yarn Winder
- Yarn Twister
- Yarn Texturing Machine Operator
- Yarn Spooler
- Yarn Spinner
- Yarn Rewinder
- Yarn Handler
- Wool Winder
- Winding Rack Operator
- Winding Machine Operator
- Repair or replace worn or defective parts or components, using hand tools.
- Remove spindles from machines and bobbins from spindles.
- Clean, oil, and lubricate machines, using air hoses, cleaning solutions, rags, oilcans, and grease guns.
- Adjust machine settings such as speed or tension to produce products that meet specifications.
- Observe bobbins as they are winding and cut threads to remove loaded bobbins, using knives.
- Unwind lengths of yarn, thread, or twine from spools and wind onto bobbins.
- Tend spinning frames that draw out and twist roving or sliver into yarn.
- Install, level, and align machine components such as gears, chains, guides, dies, cutters, or needles to set up machinery for operation.
- Measure bobbins periodically, using gauges, and turn screws to adjust tension if bobbins are not of specified size.
- Study guides, samples, charts, and specification sheets, or confer with supervisors or engineering staff to determine setup requirements.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $29,530 with most people making between $19,920 and $41,320
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 560 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 390 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 10 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Rock Splitters, Quarry
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Sewing Machine Operators
- Textile Bleaching and Dyeing Machine Operators and Tenders
- Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders