Set up, operate, or tend machines that cut textiles.
- Wiping Cloth Cutter
- Window Shade Cutter and Mounter
- Welt Trimming Machine Operator
- Welt Cutter
- Vinyl Cutter
- Velvet Cutter
- Valance Cutter
- Upper Cutter
- Upholstery Cutter
- Twill Cutter
- Thread yarn, thread, or fabric through guides, needles, and rollers of machines.
- Program electronic equipment.
- Install, level, and align components, such as gears, chains, guides, dies, cutters, or needles, to set up machinery for operation.
- Stop machines when specified amounts of product have been produced.
- Operate machines for test runs to verify adjustments and to obtain product samples.
- Study guides, samples, charts, and specification sheets or confer with supervisors or engineering staff to determine set-up requirements.
- Operate machines to cut multiple layers of fabric into parts for articles such as canvas goods, house furnishings, garments, hats, or stuffed toys.
- Record information about work completed and machine settings.
- Clean, oil, and lubricate machines, using air hoses, cleaning solutions, rags, oilcans, and grease guns.
- Start machines, monitor operations, and make adjustments as needed.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $30,780 with most people making between $22,640 and $40,460
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 880 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 680 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 10 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
- Extruding and Drawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Heat Treating Equipment Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand
- Machine Feeders and Offbearers