Operate or tend machines to bleach, shrink, wash, dye, or finish textiles or synthetic or glass fibers.
- Silk Washing Machine Operator
- Silk Finisher
- Silk Conditioner
- Shrinking Machine Operator
- Scrubbing Machine Operator
- Scouring Train Operator
- Sample Dye Mixer
- Rug Dyer
- Creel machines with bobbins or twine.
- Install, level, and align components such as gears, chains, dies, cutters, and needles.
- Ravel seams that connect cloth ends when processing is completed.
- Perform machine maintenance, such as cleaning and oiling equipment, and repair or replace worn or defective parts.
- Mount rolls of cloth on machines, using hoists, or place textile goods in machines or pieces of equipment.
- Thread ends of cloth or twine through specified sections of equipment prior to processing.
- Soak specified textile products for designated times.
- Key in processing instructions to program electronic equipment.
- Sew ends of cloth together, by hand or using machines, to form endless lengths of cloth to facilitate processing.
- Weigh ingredients to be mixed together for use in textile processing.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $29,560 with most people making between $20,290 and $40,730
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 340 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 250 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 0 replacement openings for approximately 0 total annual openings.
- Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
- Meat, Poultry, and Fish Cutters and Trimmers
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Solderers and Brazers
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Textile Winding, Twisting, and Drawing Out Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand