Operate or tend sewing machines to join, reinforce, decorate, or perform related sewing operations in the manufacture of garment or nongarment products.
- Perform specialized or automatic sewing machine functions, such as buttonhole making or tacking.
- Position and mark patterns on materials to prepare for sewing.
- Baste edges of material to align and temporarily secure parts for final assembly.
- Tape or twist together thread or cord to repair breaks.
- Draw markings or pin appliques on fabric to obtain variations in design.
- Position material or articles in clamps, templates, or hoop frames prior to automatic operation of machines.
- Attach buttons, hooks, zippers, fasteners, or other accessories to fabric, using feeding hoppers or clamp holders.
- Inspect garments, and examine repair tags and markings on garments to locate defects or damage, and mark errors as necessary.
- Cut materials according to specifications, using blades, scissors, or electric knives.
- Mount attachments, such as needles, cutting blades, or pattern plates, and adjust machine guides according to specifications.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $26,230 with most people making between $17,900 and $36,840
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 4,830 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 3,690 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 30 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
- Motion Picture Projectionists
- Nursery Workers
- Farmworkers, Farm, Ranch, and Aquacultural Animals
- Fabric Menders, Except Garment
- Coil Winders, Tapers, and Finishers
- Solderers and Brazers
- Textile Bleaching and Dyeing Machine Operators and Tenders
- Textile Winding, Twisting, and Drawing Out Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Furniture Finishers
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand