Press or shape articles by hand or machine.
- Yoke Presser
- Wool Presser
- Vest Presser
- Under Presser
- Tie Presser
- Strip Presser
- Straw Hat Plunger Operator
- Steaming Cabinet Tender
- Steam Presser
- Select, install, and adjust machine components, including pressing forms, rollers, and guides, using hoists and hand tools.
- Sew ends of new material to leaders or to ends of material in pressing machines, using sewing machines.
- Brush materials made of suede, leather, or felt to remove spots or to raise and smooth naps.
- Insert heated metal forms into ties and touch up rough places with hand irons.
- Measure fabric to specifications, cut uneven edges with shears, fold material, and press it with an iron to form a heading.
- Finish velvet garments by steaming them on bucks of hot-head presses or steam tables, and brushing pile (nap) with handbrushes.
- Examine and measure finished articles to verify conformance to standards, using measuring devices such as tape measures and micrometers.
- Use covering cloths to prevent equipment from damaging delicate fabrics.
- Activate and adjust machine controls to regulate temperature and pressure of rollers, ironing shoes, or plates, according to specifications.
- Block or shape knitted garments after cleaning.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $21,290 with most people making between $16,330 and $29,190
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,310 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,250 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 30 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
- Helpers--Painters, Paperhangers, Plasterers, and Stucco Masons
- Slaughterers and Meat Packers
- Food Batchmakers
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Textile Knitting and Weaving Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand
- Cleaners of Vehicles and Equipment
- Packers and Packagers, Hand