Press or shape articles by hand or machine.
- Yoke Presser
- Wool Presser
- Vest Presser
- Under Presser
- Tie Presser
- Strip Presser
- Straw Hat Plunger Operator
- Steaming Cabinet Tender
- Steam Presser
- Select, install, and adjust machine components, including pressing forms, rollers, and guides, using hoists and hand tools.
- Sew ends of new material to leaders or to ends of material in pressing machines, using sewing machines.
- Brush materials made of suede, leather, or felt to remove spots or to raise and smooth naps.
- Insert heated metal forms into ties and touch up rough places with hand irons.
- Measure fabric to specifications, cut uneven edges with shears, fold material, and press it with an iron to form a heading.
- Finish velvet garments by steaming them on bucks of hot-head presses or steam tables, and brushing pile (nap) with handbrushes.
- Examine and measure finished articles to verify conformance to standards, using measuring devices such as tape measures and micrometers.
- Use covering cloths to prevent equipment from damaging delicate fabrics.
- Activate and adjust machine controls to regulate temperature and pressure of rollers, ironing shoes, or plates, according to specifications.
- Block or shape knitted garments after cleaning.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Achievement in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $21,290 with most people making between $16,330 and $29,190
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,310 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,250 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 30 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
- Helpers--Painters, Paperhangers, Plasterers, and Stucco Masons
- Slaughterers and Meat Packers
- Food Batchmakers
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Textile Knitting and Weaving Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand
- Cleaners of Vehicles and Equipment
- Packers and Packagers, Hand