Operate or tend washing or dry-cleaning machines to wash or dry-clean industrial or household articles, such as cloth garments, suede, leather, furs, blankets, draperies, linens, rugs, and carpets. Includes spotters and dyers of these articles.
- Wash, dry-clean, or glaze delicate articles or fur garment linings by hand, using mild detergents or dry cleaning solutions.
- Dye articles to change or restore their colors, using knowledge of textile compositions and the properties and effects of bleaches and dyes.
- Mend and sew articles, using hand stitching, adhesive patches, or sewing machines.
- Spread soiled articles on work tables, and position stained portions over vacuum heads or on marble slabs.
- Immerse articles in bleaching baths to strip colors.
- Start pumps to operate distilling systems that drain and reclaim dry cleaning solvents.
- Identify articles' fabrics and original dyes by sight and touch, or by testing samples with fire or chemical reagents.
- Rinse articles in water and acetic acid solutions to remove excess dye and to fix colors.
- Test fabrics in inconspicuous places to determine whether solvents will damage dyes or fabrics.
- Clean fabrics, using vacuums or air hoses.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Social Perceptiveness - Being aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
Some of these occupations may require a high school diploma or GED certificate.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $24,410 with most people making between $17,490 and $32,750
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 8,280 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 8,610 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 33 openings due to growth and about 117 replacement openings for approximately 150 total annual openings.
- Janitors and Cleaners, Except Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners
- Stock Clerks- Stockroom, Warehouse, or Storage Yard
- Mail Clerks and Mail Machine Operators, Except Postal Service
- Helpers--Painters, Paperhangers, Plasterers, and Stucco Masons
- Butchers and Meat Cutters
- Slaughterers and Meat Packers
- Solderers and Brazers
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand
- Cleaners of Vehicles and Equipment
- Packers and Packagers, Hand