Perform precision smoothing, sharpening, polishing, or grinding of metal objects.
- Workcell Operator
- Universal Grinder Set-Up Operator
- Tool Straightener
- Tool Sharpener
- Tool Maintenance Worker
- Tool Grinding Technician
- Tool Grinding Machine Operator
- Tool Grinder Operator
- Tool Grinder
- Tool Dresser
- Straighten workpieces and remove dents, using straightening presses and hammers.
- Place workpieces in electroplating solutions or apply pigments to surfaces of workpieces to highlight ridges and grooves.
- Inspect dies to detect defects, assess wear, and verify specifications, using micrometers, steel gauge pins, and loupes.
- Duplicate workpiece contours, using tracer attachments.
- Attach workpieces to grinding machines and form specified sections and repair cracks, using welding or brazing equipment.
- Fit parts together in pre-assembly to ensure that dimensions are accurate.
- Remove and replace worn or broken machine parts, using hand tools.
- Remove finished workpieces from machines and place them in boxes or on racks, setting aside pieces that are defective.
- Perform basic maintenance, such as cleaning and lubricating machine parts.
- File or finish surfaces of workpieces, using prescribed hand tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $38,710 with most people making between $26,160 and $50,500
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 550 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 460 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 10 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Rail Car Repairers
- Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal and Plastic
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Milling and Planing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Model Makers, Metal and Plastic
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Winding, Twisting, and Drawing Out Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders