Set up, operate, or tend plating or coating machines to coat metal or plastic products with chromium, zinc, copper, cadmium, nickel, or other metal to protect or decorate surfaces. Includes electrolytic processes.
- Zinc Plating Machine Operator
- Zinc Plater
- Welding Rod Coater
- Vacuum Metalizer Operator
- Vacuum Applicator Operator
- Tube Coater
- Tinning Equipment Tender
- Tin Pot Operator
- Sprayer Operator
- Spray Machine Tender
- Cut metal or other materials, using shears or band saws.
- Preheat workpieces in ovens.
- Install gears and holding devices on conveyor equipment.
- Perform equipment maintenance, such as cleaning tanks and lubricating moving parts of conveyors.
- Attach nozzles, position guns, connect hoses, and thread wire to set up metal-spraying machines.
- Position containers to receive parts, and load or unload materials in containers, using dollies or handtrucks.
- Measure and set stops, rolls, brushes, and guides on automatic feeders and conveying equipment or coating machines, using micrometers, rules, and hand tools.
- Place plated or coated materials on racks and transfer them to ovens to dry for specified periods of time.
- Replace worn parts and adjust equipment components, using hand tools.
- Mix and test solutions, and turn valves to fill tanks with solutions.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $37,990 with most people making between $24,340 and $55,070
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,970 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,700 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 50 replacement openings for approximately 50 total annual openings.
- Electrical and Electronic Equipment Assemblers
- Food Batchmakers
- Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Solderers and Brazers
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand
- Semiconductor Processors
- Photographic Process Workers and Processing Machine Operators
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand