Set up, operate, or tend heating equipment, such as heat-treating furnaces, flame-hardening machines, induction machines, soaking pits, or vacuum equipment to temper, harden, anneal, or heat-treat metal or plastic objects.
- Wire Temperer
- Wire Annealer
- Tube Heater
- Torch Operator
- Tool Hardener
- Tempering Oven Operator
- Stove Tender
- Steel Heater
- Spike Machine Heater
- Position parts in plastic bags, and seal bags with irons.
- Stamp heat-treatment identification marks on parts, using hammers and punches.
- Clean oxides and scales from parts or fittings, using steam sprays or chemical and water baths.
- Repair, replace, and maintain furnace equipment as needed, using hand tools.
- Position stock in furnaces, using tongs, chain hoists, or pry bars.
- Heat billets, bars, plates, rods, and other stock to specified temperatures preparatory to forging, rolling, or processing, using oil, gas, or electrical furnaces.
- Mount fixtures and industrial coils on machines, using hand tools.
- Reduce heat when processing is complete to allow parts to cool in furnaces or machinery.
- Mount workpieces in fixtures, on arbors, or between centers of machines.
- Signal forklift operators to deposit or extract containers of parts into and from furnaces and quenching rinse tanks.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Chemistry - Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $39,960 with most people making between $25,920 and $56,110
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,460 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,250 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 30 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
- Paving, Surfacing, and Tamping Equipment Operators
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Computer-Controlled Machine Tool Operators, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
- Adhesive Bonding Machine Operators and Tenders
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators
- Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators