Set up, operate, or tend welding, soldering, or brazing machines or robots that weld, braze, solder, or heat treat metal products, components, or assemblies. Includes workers who operate laser cutters or laser-beam machines.
- Welding Pantograph Operator
- Welding Pantograph Machine Operator
- Welding Operator
- Welding Machine Setter
- Welding Machine Operator/Tender
- Welding Machine Operator
- Weld Technician
- Wave Soldering Machine Operator
- Ultrasonic Welding Machine Operator
- Type Soldering Machine Tender
- Anneal finished workpieces to relieve internal stress.
- Dress electrodes, using tip dressers, files, emery cloths, or dressing wheels.
- Immerse completed workpieces into water or acid baths to cool and clean components.
- Add chemicals or materials to workpieces or machines to facilitate bonding or to cool workpieces.
- Devise or build fixtures or jigs used to hold parts in place during welding, brazing, or soldering.
- Start, monitor, and adjust robotic welding production lines.
- Fill hoppers and position spouts to direct flow of flux or manually brush flux onto seams of workpieces.
- Select torch tips, alloys, flux, coil, tubing, or wire, according to metal types or thicknesses, data charts, or records.
- Record operational information on specified production reports.
- Set dials and timing controls to regulate electrical current, gas flow pressure, heating or cooling cycles, or shut-off.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $35,890 with most people making between $23,940 and $49,710
During 2012, this occupation employed approximately 2,300 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 2,600 employed in 2022.
This occupation will have about 30 openings due to growth and about 60 replacement openings for approximately 90 total annual openings.
- Pesticide Handlers, Sprayers, and Applicators, Vegetation
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand
- Semiconductor Processors
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Wellhead Pumpers