Braze or solder together components to assemble fabricated metal parts, using soldering iron, torch, or welding machine and flux.
- Ultrasonic Hand Solderer
- Torch Solderer
- Solderer Dipper
- Silver Solderer
- Silver Brazer
- Scrap Burner
- Remove workpieces from molten solder and hold parts together until color indicates that solder has set.
- Clean equipment parts, such as tips of soldering irons, using chemical solutions or cleaning compounds.
- Cut carbon electrodes to specified sizes and shapes, using cutoff saws.
- Select torch tips, flux, and brazing alloys from data charts or work orders.
- Turn dials to set intensity and duration of ultrasonic impulses, according to work order specifications.
- Place solder bars into containers and turn knobs to specified positions to melt solder and regulate its temperature.
- Dip workpieces into molten solder or place solder strips between seams and heat seams with irons to bond items together.
- Sweat together workpieces coated with solder.
- Connect hoses from torches to regulator valves and cylinders of oxygen and specified gas fuels.
- Remove workpieces from fixtures, using tongs, and cool workpieces, using air or water.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $42,150 with most people making between $28,400 and $59,440
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 18,820 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 19,930 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 111 openings due to growth and about 539 replacement openings for approximately 650 total annual openings.
- Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
- Timing Device Assemblers and Adjusters
- Meat, Poultry, and Fish Cutters and Trimmers
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Milling and Planing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Sewing Machine Operators
- Textile Bleaching and Dyeing Machine Operators and Tenders
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand