Set up, operate, or tend more than one type of cutting or forming machine tool or robot.
- Utility Operator
- Trim Machine Operator
- Transfer Machine Operator
- Tool Operator
- Tool Machine Setup Operator
- Tool Gear Cutting Machine Set-Up Operator
- Test and Turn-Up Technician
- Straight Bevel Gear Generator Set-Up Operator
- Spring Manufacturing Set-Up Technician
- Spring Maker
- Align layout marks with dies or blades.
- Select the proper coolants and lubricants and start their flow.
- Remove burrs, sharp edges, rust, or scale from workpieces, using files, hand grinders, wire brushes, or power tools.
- Record operational data such as pressure readings, lengths of strokes, feed rates, and speeds.
- Extract or lift jammed pieces from machines, using fingers, wire hooks, or lift bars.
- Make minor electrical and mechanical repairs and adjustments to machines and notify supervisors when major service is required.
- Change worn machine accessories, such as cutting tools and brushes, using hand tools.
- Instruct other workers in machine set-up and operation.
- Compute data such as gear dimensions and machine settings, applying knowledge of shop mathematics.
- Measure and mark reference points and cutting lines on workpieces, using traced templates, compasses, and rules.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: R.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $36,850 with most people making between $23,320 and $52,050
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 5,800 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 5,890 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 9 openings due to growth and about 101 replacement openings for approximately 110 total annual openings.
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Milling and Planing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Welders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
- Solderers and Brazers
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Extruding and Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Synthetic and Glass Fibers
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators