Make or form wax or sand cores or molds used in the production of metal castings in foundries.
- Wax Pattern Coater
- Sweep Molder
- Sand Molder
- Sand Cutter Operator
- Sand Cutter
- Roll Hand
- Pattern Molder
- No Bake Molder
- Molder Apprentice
- Pour molten metal into molds, manually or using crane ladles.
- Rotate sweep boards around spindles to make symmetrical molds for convex impressions.
- Lift upper mold sections from lower sections and remove molded patterns.
- Position patterns inside mold sections and clamp sections together.
- Operate ovens or furnaces to bake cores or to melt, skim, and flux metal.
- Cut spouts, runner holes, and sprue holes into molds.
- Tend machines that bond cope and drag together to form completed shell molds.
- Position cores into lower sections of molds, and reassemble molds for pouring.
- Sprinkle or spray parting agents onto patterns and mold sections to facilitate removal of patterns from molds.
- Move and position workpieces, such as mold sections, patterns, and bottom boards, using cranes, or signal others to move workpieces.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Judgment and Decision Making - Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $38,460 with most people making between $26,800 and $50,940
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 670 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 570 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 10 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Motion Picture Projectionists
- Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Pourers and Casters, Metal
- Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Print Binding and Finishing Workers
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Wood
- Grinding and Polishing Workers, Hand
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Helpers--Production Workers