Operate hand-controlled mechanisms to pour and regulate the flow of molten metal into molds to produce castings or ingots.
- White Metal Caster
- Tin Pourer
- Third Steel Pourer
- Steel Pourer
- Pourer Off
- Molten Iron Pourer
- Mold Maker
- Metal Handler
- Melter - Caster
- Repair and maintain metal forms and equipment, using hand tools, sledges, and bars.
- Stencil identifying information on ingots and pigs, using special hand tools.
- Transport metal ingots to storage areas, using forklifts.
- Remove metal ingots or cores from molds, using hand tools, cranes, and chain hoists.
- Assemble and embed cores in casting frames, using hand tools and equipment.
- Remove solidified steel or slag from pouring nozzles, using long bars or oxygen burners.
- Load specified amounts of metal and flux into furnaces or clay crucibles.
- Pull levers to lift ladle stoppers and to allow molten steel to flow into ingot molds to specified heights.
- Add metal to molds to compensate for shrinkage.
- Turn valves to circulate water through cores, or spray water on filled molds to cool and solidify metal.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $38,180 with most people making between $26,170 and $52,830
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,140 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 950 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 40 replacement openings for approximately 40 total annual openings.
- Nursery Workers
- Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
- Meat, Poultry, and Fish Cutters and Trimmers
- Food and Tobacco Roasting, Baking, and Drying Machine Operators and Tenders
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Molding, Coremaking, and Casting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Bleaching and Dyeing Machine Operators and Tenders
- Helpers--Production Workers
- Dredge Operators
- Mine Shuttle Car Operators