Set up, operate, or tend milling or planing machines to mill, plane, shape, groove, or profile metal or plastic work pieces.
- Wheel Cutter
- Tooth Cutter
- Tool Shaper Setup Operator
- Tool Shaper Set-Up Operator
- Tool Profiling Machine Set-Up Operator
- Tool Planer Set-Up Operator
- Tire Mold Engraver
- Thread Milling Machine Set Up Operator
- Steel Wool Machine Operator
- Squaring Machine Operator
- Make templates or cutting tools.
- Mount attachments and tools, such as pantographs, engravers, or routers to perform other operations, such as drilling or boring.
- Record production output.
- Turn valves or pull levers to start and regulate the flow of coolant or lubricant to work areas.
- Select and install cutting tools and other accessories according to specifications, using hand tools or power tools.
- Replace worn tools, using hand tools, and sharpen dull tools, using bench grinders.
- Move controls to set cutting specifications, to position cutting tools and workpieces in relation to each other, and to start machines.
- Compute dimensions, tolerances, and angles of workpieces or machines, according to specifications and knowledge of metal properties and shop mathematics.
- Study blueprints, layouts, sketches, or work orders to assess workpiece specifications and to determine tooling instructions, tools and materials needed, and sequences of operations.
- Select cutting speeds, feed rates, and depths of cuts, applying knowledge of metal properties and shop mathematics.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Working Conditions and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $44,110 with most people making between $28,110 and $65,900
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,430 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,180 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 30 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Food and Tobacco Roasting, Baking, and Drying Machine Operators and Tenders
- Forging Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Grinding, Lapping, Polishing, and Buffing Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Lathe and Turning Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Welders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
- Solderers and Brazers
- Tool Grinders, Filers, and Sharpeners
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders