Set up, operate, or tend grinding and related tools that remove excess material or burrs from surfaces, sharpen edges or corners, or buff, hone, or polish metal or plastic work pieces.
- Jewel Bearing Grinder
- Jewel Bearing Facer
- Jet Blade Polisher
- Internal Grinder
- Inside Barrel Polisher
- Honing Machine Set-Up Operator
- Honing Machine Operator
- Honing Job Setter
- Hob Grinder
- Slide spacers between buffs on spindles to set spacing.
- Adjust air cylinders and setting stops to set traverse lengths and feed arm strokes.
- Thread and hand-feed materials through machine cutters or abraders.
- Maintain stocks of machine parts and machining tools.
- Compute machine indexings and settings for specified dimensions and base reference points.
- Repair or replace machine parts, using hand tools, or notify engineering personnel when corrective action is required.
- Lift and position workpieces, manually or with hoists, and secure them in hoppers or on machine tables, faceplates, or chucks, using clamps.
- Brush or spray lubricating compounds on workpieces, or turn valve handles and direct flow of coolant against tools and workpieces.
- Set and adjust machine controls according to product specifications, using knowledge of machine operation.
- Set up, operate, or tend grinding and related tools that remove excess material or burrs from surfaces, sharpen edges or corners, or buff, hone, or polish metal or plastic workpieces.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Administration and Management - Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $38,420 with most people making between $24,600 and $54,960
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 5,430 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 4,460 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 230 replacement openings for approximately 230 total annual openings.
- Insulation Workers, Floor, Ceiling, and Wall
- Rail-Track Laying and Maintenance Equipment Operators
- Mine Cutting and Channeling Machine Operators
- Rolling Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Cutting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Textile Winding, Twisting, and Drawing Out Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Excavating and Loading Machine and Dragline Operators
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators