Set up, operate, or tend drilling machines to drill, bore, ream, mill, or countersink metal or plastic work pieces.
- Wheel Borer
- Vertical Boring Mill Operator
- Valve Seater Operator
- Trade Marker
- Tool Radial Drill Press Set-Up Operator
- Test Borer
- Tapper Operator
- Stab Setter and Driller
- Spot Facer
- Operate tracing attachments to duplicate contours from templates or models.
- Sharpen cutting tools, using bench grinders.
- Perform minor assembly, such as fastening parts with nuts, bolts, or screws, using power tools or hand tools.
- Operate single- or multiple-spindle drill presses to bore holes so that machining operations can be performed on metal or plastic workpieces.
- Turn valves and direct flow of coolants or cutting oil over cutting areas.
- Lay out reference lines and machining locations on work, using layout tools, and applying knowledge of shop math and layout techniques.
- Verify that workpiece reference lines are parallel to the axis of table rotation, using dial indicators mounted in spindles.
- Lift workpieces onto work tables either manually or with hoists or direct crane operators to lift and position workpieces.
- Observe drilling or boring machine operations to detect any problems.
- Position and secure workpieces on tables, using bolts, jigs, clamps, shims, or other holding devices.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $43,470 with most people making between $26,140 and $63,060
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,070 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 880 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 20 replacement openings for approximately 20 total annual openings.
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Insulation Workers, Mechanical
- Elevator Installers and Repairers
- Electronic Equipment Installers and Repairers, Motor Vehicles
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General
- Electromechanical Equipment Assemblers
- Food Cooking Machine Operators and Tenders
- Layout Workers, Metal and Plastic
- Stationary Engineers and Boiler Operators
- Semiconductor Processors