Set up, operate, or tend forging machines to taper, shape, or form metal or plastic parts.
- Manipulator Operator
- Machine Operator
- Lever Tender
- Lever Operator
- Keel Press Operator
- Insert Molding Operator
- Injection Molding Operator
- Hydraulic Operator
- Heavy Forging Machine Operator
- Sharpen cutting tools and drill bits, using bench grinders.
- Select, align, and bolt positioning fixtures, stops, and specified dies to rams and anvils, forging rolls, or presses and hammers.
- Repair, maintain, and replace parts on dies.
- Remove dies from machines when production runs are finished.
- Trim and compress finished forgings to specified tolerances.
- Confer with other workers about machine setups and operational specifications.
- Start machines to produce sample workpieces, and observe operations to detect machine malfunctions and to verify that machine setups conform to specifications.
- Install, adjust, and remove dies, synchronizing cams, forging hammers, and stop guides, using overhead cranes or other hoisting devices, and hand tools.
- Turn handles or knobs to set pressures and depths of ram strokes and to synchronize machine operations.
- Set up, operate, or tend presses and forging machines to perform hot or cold forging by flattening, straightening, bending, cutting, piercing, or other operations to taper, shape, or form metal.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Time Management - Managing one's own time and the time of others.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $41,710 with most people making between $27,560 and $55,260
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,460 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,220 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 40 replacement openings for approximately 40 total annual openings.
- Coil Winders, Tapers, and Finishers
- Structural Metal Fabricators and Fitters
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Solderers and Brazers
- Textile Bleaching and Dyeing Machine Operators and Tenders
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Helpers--Production Workers