Operate or tend cooking equipment, such as steam cooking vats, deep fry cookers, pressure cookers, kettles, and boilers, to prepare food products.
- Yeast Distiller
- Wine Pasteurizer
- Vegetable Cook
- Vat Skimmer
- Vacuum Kettle Cook
- Vacuum Conditioner Operator
- Tripe Cooker
- Thermoscrew Operator
- Thermo Processor
- Syrup Maker
- Operate auxiliary machines and equipment, such as grinders, canners, and molding presses, to prepare or further process products.
- Activate agitators and paddles to mix or stir ingredients, stopping machines when ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Place products on conveyors or carts, and monitor product flow.
- Pour, dump, or load prescribed quantities of ingredients or products into cooking equipment, manually or using a hoist.
- Admit required amounts of water, steam, cooking oils, or compressed air into equipment, such as by opening water valves to cool mixtures to the desired consistency.
- Record production and test data, such as processing steps, temperature and steam readings, cooking time, batches processed, and test results.
- Notify or signal other workers to operate equipment or when processing is complete.
- Collect and examine product samples during production to test them for quality, color, content, consistency, viscosity, acidity, or specific gravity.
- Read work orders, recipes, or formulas to determine cooking times and temperatures, and ingredient specifications.
- Measure or weigh ingredients, using scales or measuring containers.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $35,300 with most people making between $22,580 and $47,780
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,740 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,800 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 6 openings due to growth and about 34 replacement openings for approximately 40 total annual openings.
- Construction Laborers
- Drywall and Ceiling Tile Installers
- Highway Maintenance Workers
- Food Batchmakers
- Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Drilling and Boring Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Crushing, Grinding, and Polishing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Furnace, Kiln, Oven, Drier, and Kettle Operators and Tenders
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators