Set up and operate equipment that mixes or blends ingredients used in the manufacturing of food products. Includes candy makers and cheese makers.
- Seasoning Mixer
- Sausage Mixer
- Sausage Machine Operator
- Sausage Grinder
- Sandwich Maker
- Relish Maker
- Refined Syrup Operator
- Production Worker
- Processing Operator
- Homogenize or pasteurize material to prevent separation or to obtain prescribed butterfat content, using a homogenizing device.
- Cool food product batches on slabs or in water-cooled kettles.
- Place products on carts or conveyors to transfer them to the next stage of processing.
- Formulate or modify recipes for specific kinds of food products.
- Operate refining machines to reduce the particle size of cooked batches.
- Give directions to other workers who are assisting in the batchmaking process.
- Manipulate products, by hand or using machines, to separate, spread, knead, spin, cast, cut, pull, or roll products.
- Inspect and pack the final product.
- Determine mixing sequences, based on knowledge of temperature effects and of the solubility of specific ingredients.
- Examine, feel, and taste product samples during production to evaluate quality, color, texture, flavor, and bouquet, and document the results.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Food Production - Knowledge of techniques and equipment for planting, growing, and harvesting food products (both plant and animal) for consumption, including storage/handling techniques.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $32,710 with most people making between $18,720 and $48,850
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 6,260 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 6,230 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 140 replacement openings for approximately 140 total annual openings.
- Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Electrical and Electronic Equipment Assemblers
- Food Cooking Machine Operators and Tenders
- Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Textile Knitting and Weaving Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cutters and Trimmers, Hand
- Inspectors, Testers, Sorters, Samplers, and Weighers
- Semiconductor Processors
- Paper Goods Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders