Construct, assemble, or rebuild machines, such as engines, turbines, and similar equipment used in such industries as construction, extraction, textiles, and paper manufacturing.
- Valve Setter
- Valve Maker
- Turbine Subassembler
- Turbine Engine Assembler
- Turbine Blade Assembler
- Turbine Assembler
- Truck Engine Assembler
- Transmission Builder
- Tractor Engine Assembler
- Maintain and lubricate parts or components.
- Set up and operate metalworking machines, such as milling or grinding machines, to shape or fabricate parts.
- Assemble systems of gears by aligning and meshing gears in gearboxes.
- Rework, repair, or replace damaged parts or assemblies.
- Lay out and drill, ream, tap, or cut parts for assembly.
- Remove rough spots and smooth surfaces to fit, trim, or clean parts, using hand tools or power tools.
- Fasten or install piping, fixtures, or wiring and electrical components to form assemblies or subassemblies, using hand tools, rivet guns, or welding equipment.
- Verify conformance of parts to stock lists or blueprints, using measuring instruments, such as calipers, gauges, or micrometers.
- Set and verify parts clearances.
- Position or align components for assembly, manually or using hoists.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $35,070 with most people making between $23,160 and $54,820
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 2,720 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 2,840 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 12 openings due to growth and about 58 replacement openings for approximately 70 total annual openings.
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Sheet Metal Workers
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Security and Fire Alarm Systems Installers
- Maintenance and Repair Workers, General
- Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems Assemblers
- Printing Press Operators
- Power Plant Operators
- Chemical Plant and System Operators