Assemble, fit, fasten, and install parts of airplanes, space vehicles, or missiles, such as tails, wings, fuselage, bulkheads, stabilizers, landing gear, rigging and control equipment, or heating and ventilating systems.
- Cut cables and tubing, using master templates, measuring instruments, and cable cutters or saws.
- Capture or segregate waste material, such as aluminum swarf, machine cutting fluid, or solvents, for recycling or environmentally responsible disposal.
- Fit and fasten sheet metal coverings to surface areas or other sections of aircraft prior to welding or riveting.
- Splice cables, using clamps and fittings, or reweave cable strands.
- Weld tubing and fittings or solder cable ends, using tack-welders, induction brazing chambers, or other equipment.
- Verify dimensions of cable assemblies or positions of fittings, using measuring instruments.
- Mark identifying information on tubing or cable assemblies, using etching devices, labels, rubber stamps, or other methods.
- Install accessories in swaging machines, using hand tools.
- Clean aircraft structures, parts, or components, using aqueous, semi-aqueous, aliphatic hydrocarbon, or organic solvent cleaning products or techniques to reduce carbon or other harmful emissions.
- Install mechanical linkages and actuators, using tensiometers to verify tension of cables.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RC.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Relationships and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Education and Training - Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $79,430 with most people making between $44,840 and $100,370
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 1,430 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 1,350 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 0 openings due to growth and about 30 replacement openings for approximately 30 total annual openings.
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers
- Signal and Track Switch Repairers
- Power Plant Operators
- Chemical Plant and System Operators
- Petroleum Pump System Operators, Refinery Operators, and Gaugers
- Cutting and Slicing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Railroad Brake, Signal, and Switch Operators