Help installation, maintenance, and repair workers in maintenance, parts replacement, and repair of vehicles, industrial machinery, and electrical and electronic equipment. Perform duties such as furnishing tools, materials, and supplies to other workers; cleaning work area, machines, and tools; and holding materials or tools for other workers.
- Window Unit Air Conditioner Installer Helper
- Wet End Helper
- Well Tender
- Water and Gas Helper
- Washer Engineer Helper
- Wash Oil Pump Operator Helper
- Veneer Clipper Helper
- Utility Worker
- Trades Helper
- Tractor Mechanic Helper
- Design, weld, and fabricate parts, using blueprints or other mechanical plans.
- Prepare work stations for use by mechanics and repairers.
- Diagnose electrical problems and install and rewire electrical components.
- Order new parts to maintain inventory.
- Apply protective materials to equipment, components, and parts to prevent defects and corrosion.
- Tend and observe equipment and machinery to verify efficient and safe operation.
- Assemble and maintain physical structures, using hand or power tools.
- Clean or lubricate vehicles, machinery, equipment, instruments, tools, work areas, and other objects, using hand tools, power tools, and cleaning equipment.
- Adjust, connect, or disconnect wiring, piping, tubing, and other parts, using hand or power tools.
- Adjust, maintain, and repair tools, equipment, and machines, and assist more skilled workers with similar tasks.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Relationships, but also value Support and Independence in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Monitoring - Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2017, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $27,910 with most people making between $17,490 and $39,320
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 4,450 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 4,800 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 35 openings due to growth and about 145 replacement openings for approximately 180 total annual openings.
- Reinforcing Iron and Rebar Workers
- Roustabouts, Oil and Gas
- Refractory Materials Repairers, Except Brickmasons
- Fiberglass Laminators and Fabricators
- Cutting, Punching, and Press Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators
- Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand