Install, inspect, test, maintain, or repair electric gate crossings, signals, signal equipment, track switches, section lines, or intercommunications systems within a railroad system.
- Train Control Technician
- Train Control Electronic Technician
- Third Rail Installer
- Signal Technician
- Signal System Testing Maintainer
- Signal Supervisor
- Signal Mechanic
- Signal Maintenance Technician
- Signal Maintainer
- Test air lines and air cylinders on pneumatically operated gates.
- Maintain high tension lines, de-energizing lines for power companies when repairs are requested.
- Clean lenses of lamps with cloths and solvents.
- Lubricate moving parts on gate-crossing mechanisms and swinging signals.
- Inspect, maintain, and replace batteries as needed.
- Record and report information about mileage or track inspected, repairs performed, and equipment requiring replacement.
- Replace defective wiring, broken lenses, or burned-out light bulbs.
- Inspect electrical units of railroad grade crossing gates and repair loose bolts and defective electrical connections and parts.
- Tighten loose bolts, using wrenches, and test circuits and connections by opening and closing gates.
- Drive motor vehicles to job sites.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: I.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Working Conditions in their jobs.
- Computers and Electronics - Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Equipment Selection - Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $61,010 with most people making between $34,590 and $79,610
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 350 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 360 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 1 openings due to growth and about 9 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Electric Motor, Power Tool, and Related Repairers
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics, Except Engines
- Motorboat Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
- Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems Assemblers
- Chemical Plant and System Operators
- Petroleum Pump System Operators, Refinery Operators, and Gaugers
- Gas Compressor and Gas Pumping Station Operators