Build or repair equipment such as furnaces, kilns, cupolas, boilers, converters, ladles, soaking pits and ovens, using refractory materials.
- Stopper Maker
- Refractory Worker
- Refractory Technician
- Refractory Repairer
- Refractory Manager
- Refractory Furnace Designer
- Refractory Bricklayer
- Plastic Block Boiler Reliner
- Oven Equipment Repairer
- Melt Helper
- Install clay structures in melting tanks and drawing kilns to control the flow and temperature of molten glass, using hoists and hand tools.
- Install preformed metal scaffolding in interiors of cupolas, using hand tools.
- Transfer clay structures to curing ovens, melting tanks, and drawing kilns, using forklifts.
- Disassemble molds, and cut, chip, and smooth clay structures such as floaters, drawbars, and L-blocks.
- Dump and tamp clay in molds, using tamping tools.
- Spread mortar on stopper heads and rods, using trowels, and slide brick sleeves over rods to form refractory jackets.
- Drill holes in furnace walls, bolt overlapping layers of plastic to walls, and hammer surfaces to compress layers into solid sheets.
- Climb scaffolding, carrying hoses, and spray surfaces of cupolas with refractory mixtures, using spray equipment.
- Fasten stopper heads to rods with metal pins to assemble refractory stoppers used to plug pouring nozzles of steel ladles.
- Remove worn or damaged plastic block refractory linings of furnaces, using hand tools.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: RCI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Realistic interests, but also prefer Conventional and Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Relationships in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Production and Processing - Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Public Safety and Security - Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $36,510 with most people making between $21,870 and $53,770
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 160 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 170 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 1 openings due to growth and about 9 replacement openings for approximately 10 total annual openings.
- Logging Equipment Operators
- Control and Valve Installers and Repairers, Except Mechanical Door
- Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Wood
- Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing
- Mixing and Blending Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Extruding, Forming, Pressing, and Compacting Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
- Coating, Painting, and Spraying Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders
- Cooling and Freezing Equipment Operators and Tenders
- Crane and Tower Operators