Install and repair industrial and commercial refrigerating systems.
- VRT Mechanic (Variable Retention Time Mechanic)
- Transportation Refrigeration Technician
- Service Technician
- Repair Servicer
- Refrigeration Unit Repairer
- Refrigeration Technician
- Refrigeration Operator
- Refrigeration Mechanic
- Refrigeration Installer
- Insulate shells and cabinets of systems.
- Drill holes and install mounting brackets and hangers into floor and walls of building.
- Fabricate and assemble structural and functional components of refrigeration system, using hand tools, power tools, and welding equipment.
- Lift and align components into position, using hoist or block and tackle.
- Read blueprints to determine location, size, capacity, and type of components needed to build refrigeration system.
- Lay out reference points for installation of structural and functional components, using measuring instruments.
- Cut, bend, thread, and connect pipe to functional components and water, power, or refrigeration system.
- Estimate, order, pick up, deliver, and install materials and supplies needed to maintain equipment in good working condition.
- Supervise and instruct assistants.
- Schedule work with customers and initiate work orders, house requisitions, and orders from stock.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: CI.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Conventional interests, but also prefer Investigative environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Independence, but also value Support and Relationships in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- English Language - Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Mathematics - Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- Physics - Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Installation - Installing equipment, machines, wiring, or programs to meet specifications.
- Operation and Control - Controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $49,650 with most people making between $29,450 and $71,740
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 13,340 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 14,860 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 152 openings due to growth and about 208 replacement openings for approximately 360 total annual openings.
- Pest Control Workers
- Pipe Fitters and Steamfitters
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Powerhouse, Substation, and Relay
- Automotive Master Mechanics
- Heating and Air Conditioning Mechanics and Installers
- Commercial Divers
- Chemical Plant and System Operators
- Gas Plant Operators