Install, service, or repair heating and air conditioning systems in residences or commercial establishments.
- Ventilating Equipment Installer
- Systems Mechanic
- Stoker Mechanic
- Stoker Installer
- Stoker Erector
- Solar Panel Technician
- Solar Energy System Installer
- Service Tester
- Service Technician
- Residential Heating and Air Conditioning Installer
- Wrap pipes, securing insulation in place with cement or wire bands.
- Install or repair self-contained ground source heat pumps or hybrid ground or air source heat pumps to minimize carbon-based energy consumption and reduce carbon emissions.
- Install radiator controls for room-level zone control heating of residential or commercial buildings.
- Fabricate, assemble, or install duct work or chassis parts, using portable metal-working tools or welding equipment.
- Assemble, position, and mount heating or cooling equipment, following blueprints or manufacturer's specifications.
- Install or repair air purification systems, such as specialized filters or ultraviolet (UV) light purification systems.
- Measure, cut, thread, or bend pipe or tubing, using pipe fitter's tools.
- Cut or drill holes in floors, walls, or roof to install equipment, using power saws or drills.
- Install magnetic-centrifugal chillers, compressors, or related equipment to cool air temperatures through the use of recirculating water.
- Recommend, develop, or perform preventive or general maintenance procedures, such as cleaning, power-washing, or vacuuming equipment, oiling parts, or changing filters.
People who work in this occupation generally have the interest code: IA.
This means people who work in this occupation generally have Investigative interests, but also prefer Artistic environments.
People who work in this occupation generally prize Support, but also value Independence and Achievement in their jobs.
- Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Customer and Personal Service - Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Building and Construction - Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads.
- Physics - Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical, electrical, atomic and sub- atomic structures and processes.
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Quality Control Analysis - Conducting tests and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Troubleshooting - Determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- Installation - Installing equipment, machines, wiring, or programs to meet specifications.
- Equipment Maintenance - Performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- Operation Monitoring - Watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Repairing - Repairing machines or systems using the needed tools.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree.
In 2016, the average annual wage in Pennsylvania was $49,650 with most people making between $29,450 and $71,740
During 2014, this occupation employed approximately 13,340 people in Pennsylvania. It is projected that there will be 14,860 employed in 2024.
This occupation will have about 152 openings due to growth and about 208 replacement openings for approximately 360 total annual openings.
- Insulation Workers, Mechanical
- Elevator Installers and Repairers
- Telecommunications Equipment Installers and Repairers, Except Line Installers
- Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Commercial and Industrial Equipment
- Automotive Specialty Technicians
- Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
- Industrial Machinery Mechanics
- Gas Plant Operators